Cosmetic botulinum toxin
Certification in Cosmetic botulinum toxin authorizes a registrant to perform injections of prescription botulinum toxin into facial muscles for an aesthetic purpose.
(Note: Injection of botulinum toxin for a therapeutic purpose, such as for TMJ syndrome, headaches/migraines, and hyperhidrosis, requires certification in Botulinum toxin (non-aesthetic).)
A naturopathic physician certified in Cosmetic botulinum toxin is not permitted to delegate those acts to any other person, or give an order to any other person to perform the injections on his or her behalf. It is professional misconduct to delegate these injection procedures, or to direct another person to perform them.
Registrants must only use botulinum toxin substances that are approved by Health Canada and are included in the pharmacopeia of naturopathic physicians with Prescriptive Authority.
Naturopathic physicians who provide injections of botulinum toxin are required to complete CNPBC approved education and training prior to performing such procedures, including certification in Prescriptive Authority, and to maintain currency in the practice.
In order to apply for certification in Cosmetic botulinum toxin and related therapies, naturopathic physicians must:
- Have the status of full registrant under s. 46 of the CNPBC Bylaws;
- Be certified in Prescriptive Authority;
- Possess a current qualification in Naturopathic Advanced Life Support (NALS); and
- Have satisfied the training requirements for this certification.
Registrants may take any of the following courses to satisfy the training requirements for this certification:
– Prior to January 22, 2019: American Academy of Aesthetic Medicine (AAAM): Level 1 and 2 Certification
– American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M): Module IV and Module VIII
– Canadian Society of Skin Medicine, Dr. Henry Ngai, MD and Dr. Moon-Sang Choi, ND
– International Institute of Aesthetic Medicine: Cosmetic Neuromodulator Foundations (previously MD Cosmetic, Dr. Haneef Alibhai, MD)
– Pacific Training Institute for Facial Aesthetics and Therapeutics (PTFIA) – Level 1 – Advanced Anatomy Review & Intro to Botulinum Toxin & Dermal Filler AND Level 2 – Basic Botulinum Toxin: Aesthetic Upper Face & Therapeutic Pain Management (NOTE: this training IS NOT approved for certification in Botulinum toxin: medical/non-aesthetic at this time).