Businesses & Health Profession Corporations
Business Name Approvals
Registrants who seek to register a business name with the BC Registry Services Corporate Registry may require approval from the College for the use of the business name if the name includes terms such as “Doctor”, “Naturopath”, “Naturopathic”, or the abbreviations “Dr.” or “ND.” Applicants should ensure that the proposed corporation name conforms with the College’s Advertising Policy and all applicable legislation. To request approval from the College, forward the email and letter received from the BC Registry to firstname.lastname@example.org Processing typically takes 5-10 business days upon receipt of all materials.
Health Profession Corporations
Health Profession Corporations are regulated under Part 4 of the Health Professions Act and Part 7 of the College’s Bylaws. A corporation may not carry on the business of providing naturopathic medical services unless it holds a valid permit from the College.
This page provides the following information:
– Procedure for obtaining a Health Profession Corporation permit
– Annual Health Profession Corporation permit renewal
– Other procedures (e.g. Corporate Name Change)
– Information about submitting information to the College
Procedure for obtaining a Health Profession Corporation permit
- Request and obtain the College’s approval for the corporate name by email to email@example.com. Applicants should ensure that the proposed corporation name conforms with the College’s Advertising Policy and all applicable legislation.
- Reserve the corporate name by applying to the BC Registry Services Corporate Registry.
- Register the corporation.
- Ensure the corporation conforms with Part 4 of the Health Professions Act and Part 7 of the College’s Bylaws.
- Apply for a permit from the College by submitting an Application for Health Profession Corporation Permit and supporting documents (see list, below).
- Await written confirmation from the College that a permit has been issued for the Health Profession Corporation.
The following materials should be enclosed with every Health Profession Corporation Application for Permit Form:
- Certificate of Solicitor (Schedule “A”);
- Acknowledgement of Shareholder (“Schedule B”), executed by each registrant who is or will be a voting shareholder of the corporation or of any holding company as defined under section 40.1 of the Health Professions Act of British Columbia;
- Confirmation of any approval previously issued by the College for use of the corporation name, if applicable;
- Certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation, and any certificate of change of name, issued to or filed by the corporation under the Business Corporations Act of British Columbia;
- Copy of Proof of Insurance; and
- Application fee of $289, payable to the ‘College of Naturopathic Physicians of British Columbia.’ This fee can be paid online through the ROSS portal.
NOTE: A Health Profession Corporation must promptly advise the College in writing of any change to the information contained in the permit application and/or the most recent permit renewal application under sections 91(2) and 93(3) of the College’s Bylaws.
Annual Health Profession Corporation permit renewal
A Health Profession Corporation permit is valid from the issue date until the following December 31st. Maintain a valid permit by renewing your Health Profession Corporation Permit through the online registration renewal process in the ROSS portal.
To change the name of a Health Profession Corporation submit a Application for Corporate Name Change Form.
Sign and return form(s) to the College of Naturopathic Physicians of British Columbia
- By mail: 840-605 Robson Street, Vancouver, BC, V6B 5J3
- By fax: (604) 688-8476
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: The College cannot provide legal, business, or taxation advice to registrants. Registrants may wish to obtain advice and assistance from a lawyer in incorporating a Health Profession Corporation.